Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Little Match Girl----One of my favourites..



As a child, I would often lose myself in the world of fairy tales. Hans Andersen was my favourite and as Christmas time approached it was The Little Fir Tree  and The Little Match Girl that drew me.

Christmas for me is a joyful peaceful time, yet those stories , tinged with poignancy
and sadness never failed to captivate me. How I  was always moved to tears, and was always so utterly relieved  to know that she was finally safe and happy with her Grandmother.

Maybe at this beautiful Season, we need  to make room in our hearts for  sadness along with the joy.

Sadness that many friends and loved ones will  not be with us this year, although my heart tells me how close they are still.

Sadness for all those who are lonely, afraid, suffering or in need , and a deep gratitude that I  myself am able to enjoy the wonder and peace with those I love. 
    Maureen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment