Friday, March 20, 2009

Hats----!!


Feeling Free- GIRL IN HAT---watercolour with mount.

16x12 inches----100 euros


Please don't mention the word 'HAT' to me--it brings on a horrid fearful moment! The HAT is everything that is anathema to me---brings back memories of schooldays in a monstrous navy felt affair!! Someone offers a wedding invitation and my mind races to 'The Hat' theme'and how I can possibly get by with a discreet flower or clasp---!(especially difficult here in Malta!)----

And yet-----warmer weather is arriving here now ,and so are the tourists --- and the Hats! I have to admit I enjoy the scene! The main square is full of a splendid assortment--all colours ,shapes and sizes --just waiting!

Soon the scene below us will be coloured by a varied display:-dotted 'flowerpots', striped 'flowerpots',jaunty denims,

and ofcourse the elderly couple strolling by holding hands, he in--

striking stetson ,she rather plump in a broad brimmed ensemble complete with huge bow and 'floaty' streamers! He the gallant hero, --she the romantic heroine of a momentary dream world!

So much fantasy, so much image,----we all need a little don't we from time to time?----- The best I can offer is my 'gypsy' scarf when painting, or If I'm feeling a touch flamboyant, my cowboy (girl) old straw! Ofcourse I'm galloping away into the sunset!! Joe's is the inevitable baseball cap---- and he's a soccer/cricket fan!!

Today's quote:-

Clothes are never a frivolity--they always mean something!!

James Laver

No comments:

Post a Comment