Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Humid days, the flowers- and me.


The last several days have been almost unbearable with
the heat and high humidity, reducing us to a limp,
drained state, where for me  the mind almost ceases to
function,and I move  in zombie -like fashion through
each minute.

Night time is the worst, with the dense, dark air
descending and wrapping me in a  thick, hot , damp blanket,
I'm suffocating here!

Not so some of our plants! The hibiscus especially
seems to thrive in the humidity, scarlet flowers
bringing a welcome splash of colour and freshness.

Years ago, before we lived in Malta and I read novels
or travel books describing the Mediterranean,
the hibiscus seemed so often to be there
along with the mimosa and orange blossom,-
images of dazzling colour, heady scents and exotic
settings.

Thank heaven for these scarlet splashes of colour;
for their loveliness, their verve and vivacity,
their statement of everything beautiful
to lift us through these humid days!
Mo.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment