Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Almost April-----a contrary month I think----My painting for today-----TREES.

TREES.--- Watercolour on cotton paper  -16" x 12"

I always feel that April is a little contrary in its offerings.
I think that T.S. Eliot  is being a bit harsh when he calls it 
'the cruellest month', but certainly here in Malta we can be
 subjected to some harsh winds as well as glorious
spring-like days.  

Vividly I call to mind that beautiful April poem by Laurie Lee,
I remember reciting it once at a school Open Day.
It is such a gentle poem, yet so full of  colourful,
animated imagery, so resonant with the sense of
new Life and hope.



    APRIL  RISE. 

If ever I saw blessing in the air
I see it now in this still early day
                    Where lemon-green the vaporous morning drips
Wet sunlight on the powder of my eye.

        Blown bubble -film of blue, the sky wraps round
       Weeds of warm light whose every root and rod
     Splutters with soapy green, and all the world
                          Sweats with the bead of Summer in its bud. 

 If ever I heard blessing it is there
           Where birds in trees that shoals and shadows are
         Splash with their hidden wings and drops of sound
    Break on my ears their crests of throbbing air.


Pure in the haze the emerald sun dilates,
The lips of sparrows milk the mossy stones,
While white as water by the lake a girl
Swims her green hand among the gathered swans.

Now, as the almond burns its smoking wick,
Dropping small flames to light the candled grass;
Now as my low blood scales its second chance,
If ever world were blessed, now it is.

has copies of  a selection of  Laurie Lee's poems.

T

                
                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment