Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bob Dylan and ' Mr Tambourine Man,'-----I remember it still!

I don't know why, but at this time of year I often feel
quite wistful. Maybe it's due to the 'not quite spring-time'
mood,maybe it's due to the rather unsettled weather,whatever the reason at this time I often find myself humming Bob Dylan's sixties favourite, Mr Tambourine Man.I find the blend of lyrics and music hauntingly evocative the imagery vivid and so moving, especially that last verse. I know it can bring tears to the eyes.










Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Hey! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.
Hey! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.

The version by 'The Byrds' had only two verses, so much of the theme and imagery is lost. So many interpretations of Dylan's meaning have been offered, including the suggestion that it was 'drug induced'- which he denied. I feel that it should simply be appreciated for what it is,-a beautiful, inspired composition.

It was interesting to note that Bob Dylan was a recent guest and performer at The White House.- An enyoyable video- an extract here.- Times They Are a Changin'.
Mo.

No comments:

Post a Comment