Monday, March 1, 2010

A MAGIC WORLD.


                                                              http://www.amazon.combooks/

   One of the wonders of my childhood was the abundance of  books and stories that were my world. I was encouraged to read at an early age, and I was never happier than when I could sit on the steps leading to the garden and steep myself in the colour, the excitement, the adventure  that I found. I was completely oblivious to the happenings around me,and I would have been so content to stay like this all day long.

           I had a wonderful book of Hans  
          Andersen's Fairy Tales and these
   stories transported me into realms where my emotions, imagination and creativity were  given full play. I wept with the Little Mermaid, the Tin Soldier, and the Little Fir Tree, The  tale of the Nightingale inspired me.
                                                                      
   I was  overjoyed when Eliza saved her brothers and was freed from prison to marry the King, and although a bit afraid of the Dog with eyes as big as saucers, I was tempted to sneak a look at him from time to time. My book had wonderful pop-up pictures that I returned to day after day,- they were magical! And ofcourse there  was The Garden of Paradise:

                 'In the middle of the scene stood a large tree with silver branches.Golden apples of every size hung among transparent leaves. The sun was setting and the whole sky was pure gold. White transparent lilies shone amid a purple gleam----the spicy fragrance grew stronger----- 

                      How this scene played on my senses! There is so much  I learned from these stories, and not just words and language. It's interesting to note that Hans Andersen wished them to be read by adults as well as children, -annd looking at them occasionally now I am aware of deeper meaning and symbolism. In those childhood years though they introduced me to a world of beauty,colour, feelings,happiness , mystery, sadness,- a world where I could perhaps develop a sensitivity to Life that would remain with me through the years. I am so grateful for these stories!
                                                              Mo.

'Children have neither past nor future, they enjoy the present, which very few of us do.'  ----Jean de la Bruyere.

'Grown ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.'
                             Saint Exupery----The Little Prince.
                       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment