Saturday, February 20, 2010

FREESIAS- FRAGRANCE- AND FEELINGS.

s

Whenever Joe returns from the flower shop with a bunch of freesias I know that Spring has nearly arrived! Already the red colouring that I have found so warm and comforting is beginning to look not quite right in the changing light,and the rooms seem to be calling out for some yellows and greens. So these freesias have arrived at just the right moment to brighten the scene---and this they do! I've placed them in the hall-way where they best catch the light and their fragrance is powerfully alive.
        Freesias are among my favourite flowers.They hold for me a nostalgia, a sweetness, even a  tinge of sadness.The first pressed flower picture that I gave my Mum many years ago for Mother's Day was made with freesias. My own wedding bouquet was a blend of freesias and roses, and my first sight of them  as Spring approaches always moves me deeply.
 Apparently the bulb originally came from Africa, and  the bloom was named by Dr. Friedrich Freese a  physician from Kiel in Germany. One of the most fragrant flowers it symbolises innocence, friendship and  love. I just love having  them around for as long as I can, they are a lovely burst of sunshine!
                         Mo.

'Perfumes are the feelings of flowers.'-----Heinrich Heine.

'Flowers really do intoxicate me.-----' Vita Sackville West.

No comments:

Post a Comment