Saturday, February 6, 2010

PAINTING FOR TODAY----FISHING.-----and THE ENTHUSIASTS!


We've seen some sunny days recently, and below us on the rocks the fishing enthusiasts are beginning to gather. Some are eager, maybe to the point of fanaticism, others are there to sit and dream, but they are all equipped with the latest gear, and arrive especially when the current is from north east.
         Years ago when we first came to Malta, I painted the picture above. I couldn't resist it when I saw the young boy below, almost motionless  in a happy dream-world. Mark is a grown man now, probably with little ones of his own,and no longer is he there on the rocks, soaking in the peace of the morning.
          I would love to try another painting though.As the days grow warmer I  'll keep looking until I find the right moment-and subject! Maybe this time it will be Joe---'of the Great Catch' (above)----On second thoughts I think it would be impossible for him to sit still for long enough! ---Ah well!----
                                      Mo.

The fishing was good:it was the catch that was bad.---A.K.Best.

 The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series  of occasions for hope.----- John Buchan.

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me of another fishing quote "there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot" - I am one of few people that could mess up fishing...

    Tangled lines, casting over other people's lines etc etc. Entertaining though.

    Did you eat the fish in the photo?

    ReplyDelete